Monday, January 8, 2018

LSI 2008 SAS Chipset (mps0) problems on recent FreeBSD versions

I've encountered a problem with never versions of FreeBSD and my LSI SAS 2008.

I have a number of LSI 2008 based HBAs in service in my FreeBSD storage devices. Most are re-flashed Dell PERC, some are IBM, some are branded LSI.

This particular card is flashed to MPT2BIOS 7.11.10.00 (2011.06.02) in IT mode.

Under FreeBSD 10.2 (and many earlier versions) I have no problems with it.

Attempting to install FreeBSD 11.1, I couldn't get FreeBSD to detect the HBA. I could see my two SES devices (SAS Expanders), but no mps0, no drives.

I did a bit of troubleshooting, and found this across the FreeBSD versions:

10.2  - No Problems
10.3  - Not Tested
10.4  - mps0 shows up, all drives show up, but I have screens and screens of SCSI SENSE errors, can't import zpool's, etc.
11.0 - mps0 dosen't show up, no drives show up, only ses0 ses1
11.1 - same as 11.0

I unfortunately wasted too much time troubleshooting my inactive server. Once I knew what I needed to do to get it online again, I couldn't spend more time to file a bug report and help track this down.

I did encounter this thread, sounds very similar to my problem:

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/63800/

For now, I'm back to 10.2 on this server until I have the time to fire up a parts machine that I have in storage.

Let me know if you're running into something similar, or have any suggestions.


No comments:

Post a Comment